Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Impulse Buying - Stop It Now!

Image Source
Impulse buying could be a very bad thing for the frugal minded.  It is the desire to have something immediately, then most likely regretting the purchase later.  In other words, one did not think it through when they made such purchase.  You buy because you may be afraid of missing out or you are addicted to shopping and the rush makes you feel good.

I have done that in the past; bought a piece of real estate in Arizona on eBay.  Bought a bunch of old lunch boxes to start a collection because I saw some in a museum.  This list goes on.  I wanted a Ronald McDonald stature sitting on a bench or the Sinclair Dinosaur that you see at the gas stations.  But I have stopped myself.

Why? Because the thrill of the purchase fades quickly and you are in possession of something that you may not want later and will regret it.

But if you want to save money and not waste it, then do what I have done.

Write what you want down, don’t buy it.  Look at your list in three days.  Do you still want it?  Look again in thirty days.  Do you really need it?  Think about what you could do with this money otherwise.  That usually helps me.

Stay away from shopping websites, especially the auction sites.  Reward yourself for not making an impulse buy.  An ice cream works for me!

Plan ahead, save in advance for things you need.  Write it all down, review it, then review it again.  Is it worth it? Is it needed?  Can you live without it?

I find I feel better not buying something I wanted just for that quick joy.  Saving money for my future is a much bigger joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment