Sunday, August 19, 2018

Squeezing pennies out of a gift card

What would you do if you found a gas gift card sitting on top of the pump?  Would you assume it was used up and leave it? Or would you take it and check the balance?  Guess, what I did.  I took it and logged on the website and found out it has a balance of $1.61.

If you found that out, would you toss it or use it?  It is not even a gallon of gas and maybe not worth it.  Too me, it is.  I used it with a $5.00 gift card I had won to put gas in our car.  Every little bit helps this frugal man.

It reminds me of the times I used to travel into NYC and see tossed metro cards around.  I would pick them up and scan them.  Most didn’t have a balance, but sometimes there would one.  Did you know that that you can take metro cards with a balance to the subway station booth and the agent would combine them all into one card?  I did this a few times also.  It’s like picking up loose change from the ground.  I do that too.  Before we left NYC, it was harder to find those cards because I believe now they charge $1.00 for a new card.  What a scam!  I have been away from New York in almost three years but still have my metro card.  It is expired, yes, but if and when I visit again, I will get a new one without having to pay that one dollar fee.

No comments:

Post a Comment