Monday, September 10, 2018

What is Your Good Life?

What is the American Dream today?  It used to be the house with the white picket fence.  Now people just want a good life.  But what does a good life mean to you?  Some say, it is being debt free or independently wealthy.  Others may say it is living off the land or traveling or helping others.

Think about it. If you were like me, you wanted it all; the new car, the house with the big yard, a great paying job and all that money could buy.  Now for me it is all about making memories.  My personal good life is not about all that materialistic stuff.  Yes, I need a roof over my head, food to eat and clothes to wear, but I don’t need the best or the most expensive.

The worst is that in this day and age, we are bombarded with consumerism.  Ads on TV, ads on the internet, pushing more and more items that they say you need, that you want.  But does it make you happy?  Maybe for a moment, but that gratification will soon dissipate.  True happiness is not purchased in stores.

We are about to move into a new home and boy, do we have things that we don’t use, nor do they hold any memories for us.  We will have cut about half of these possessions from our lives as we make the trip to the new home.

But memories of spending time with family and friends, taking trips, exploring new places, they will stay with me forever.  That’s my conception of a good life.  What is yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment